We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex social-technical challenges and is passionate about reducing disinformation, hate speech and extremism in social media, and the use of that media for fraudulent and illegal activities.
The Netanomics Media Assessment team is concerned with providing software solutions for assessing media data both news and social media and with providing timely analytic products on time-critical issues. As an analyst on this team, you will have the unique opportunity of using new advanced technology for influence campaign assessment and the ability to work on timely and critical issues.
Assessing adversarial actor activity and online social influence requires using a variety of data science tools. You should be somebody who enjoys learning new tools, working with large scale data, conducting empirical studies, writing clear concise impactful reports, is customer-centric, and feels strongly addressing issues related to social-cybersecurity.
As a junior analyst you will collect social media data, set up a pipeline for analysis, run analyses using ORA-PRO and NetMapper, generate analytic products and reports, and identify tool gaps. You may also be asked to train others on these tools and to demonstrate their use. The focus of the analysis and which media platforms will be used will be specified by the project lead; however, the applicant will have broad latitude in conducting the analysis.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional analyst experience, data science experience.
- Social network analytics training.
- Programming experience with python and R.
- Experience using network packages, preferably ORA-PRO.
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree relating to data science or computational social science.
- Strong foundation in statistics, network science, and applied machine learning.
- Experience applying forensic and problem solving skills to social media data.
- Experience applying tools to large scale social media data.
- Experience producing analytic products and reports in PowerPoint and Word.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Familiarity with multiple social media platforms and their APIs – particularly Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and YouTube.
- Familiarity with version control tools, primarily GIT
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new tools.
- Should have some experience testing large software tools.
- Should have experience writing documents and creating presentations.
- Ideal candidate will also have some experience delivering training sessions on complex software tools, or experience delivering training sessions in data science
- Candidates should also have good speaking skills.
- As part of responsibilities Candidates will be expected to deliver training sessions on using ORA for social media analysis at locations around the world. (Periodic travel to destinations around the world is an aspect of this position.)
- Must be able to work independently
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with CEO and stakeholders to define and satisfy their data analysis requirements
- Leverage Netanomics’ tools for to deliver meaningful metrics, reports, and data visualizations
- Work with social media data
- Help define and promote Data Analytics strategy and best practices
- Provide training and support to empower users of our analytics platform
- Work with big data platforms to develop queries, write reports, and build visualizations
- Apply social network methods, dynamic network methods, statistical methods, and language technology methods to support high quality and meaningful data analyses.
- Work with modern big data, and analytics technologies
- Write Python code to collect and prepare data for analytics and structure an analytic pipeline.
- Generate analytic products, PowerPoints and Word documents
Other Details of the Position
- Take directions constructively and work well within a distributed team setting.
- This position would be based in the Pittsburgh region.
- This is a fulltime position.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please e-mail your resume (pdf preferred) and contact information to the Company at email@example.com with the subject line “Junior Analyst”. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.